RSS

I have a hairline crack in my windshield, can I self-repair it?

Question by muchluv4pets: I have a hairline crack in my windshield, can I self-repair it?
I guess it cracked from sitting in the hot sun (is that possible?) Anyway, the jagged crack is about 8″ long, and can only be seen at an angle. I am very handy with tools and many self repair projects. Could I repair this myself, or am I gonna need a new windshield? What can I do do prevent this from happening again (I don’t have a garage)?

Best answer:

Answer by freebird_237
If the crack did’nt start from a chip(even a small one)then chances are windshield was never installed properly.
The hot sun thing is a myth,as is the “I turned on my defroster in sub zero weather and windshield cracked”
An 8″ crack requires windshield replacement.

What do you think? Answer below!

Ultra Bond founder Richard Campfield is the original inventor of windshield crack repair. This patented process after 20 years is still the only correct process on the market today and is the only wndshield repair kit available for the repair of windshield cracks.
Video Rating: 5 / 5

Embroidered Infant Terry Bib with the image of: windshield repair

6.5-ounce, 65/35 poly/cotton terryHook and loop neck closure for easy on/offPlease note in the diagram that the picture that will be embroidered is the one blown up in the diagram – not the small image on the item.

Price:

6 Responses to “I have a hairline crack in my windshield, can I self-repair it?”

1. Tweety B says:

I dont think it is possible to repair this. i think you should buy a new car, may i recommend the bugatti veyron

2. Samus says:

It sounds too long to be fixed by windshield repair. I would just bite the bullet and get a brand new windshield.

I really doubt the hot sun could make a crack like that. I do believe extreme weather can make an existing crack wider and longer, however. To avoid it, you can avoid driving. Seriously there is no easy way to avoid windshield damage.

3. Lover not a Fighter says:

Yes you can.

But it is safer to let the pros do it. It is also cheap (sometimes as little as $ 20). google this:

windshield repair

===
    Many companies will give you GUARANTEE that if their repair job does NOT work, they will refund the cost and / or apply it to the cost of new windshield.

I had my windshield repaired few years back. It is still holding.

Good Luck…

4. Quiet.Buck says:

A crack like this could be left if it is not in your line of sight nor bothers you as you drive. Just keep an eye on it to ensure it does not grow.

You can call up local mobile glass repair companies and see if their resin will heal the crack and not let it spread. Phone book in the auto glass section or just call up used car dealers and ask them who they use for glass chip repair.

At most you would replace the windshield but I would look into the other routes or see if it does not grow. From what you describe sounds like its a pressure or tension crack. Meaning a small bit of metal or such is pinching something somewhere. And when it warmed up, it expanded and in turn put pressure on the glass. My step mom’s old Buick Regal went through 4 windshields due to this till they figured it out.

5. Del Saler says:

Thanks for this Martin. I’d love one of these bags. I’m currently using a case logic and I’ve quickly out-grown it. It’s on my to-buy’ list…but it’s quite pricey.

6. Wiley Boisjolie says:

Thank you so much for giving everyone a very splendid possiblity to check tips from here. It’s always so good plus stuffed with amusement for me and my office friends to search the blog the equivalent of three times in a week to find out the newest guidance you will have. Not to mention, I’m just usually amazed with the unbelievable methods served by you. Some 4 facts in this article are basically the finest we have ever had.