RSS

Q&A: crack in fireplace insert. what can i use to repair it?

Question by atom631: crack in fireplace insert. what can i use to repair it?
i have a fireplace insert in my house. i am uncertain of exactly what is it made of, but it definitely isn’t brick (although it looks like brick). I think they are called firebricks, but it is one full sheet and has seams where the sides meet.

i noticed that i developed a crack that runs vertically down the back wall of the insert. it is about 1/4″ to 1/2″ wide and runs for a good 12″-14″ (pretty much the entire length of the insert). when cool, i pressed my fire poker against it, just to see if it flexed or not…and it certainly did.

i went to home depot and i dont think they understood exactly what i have b/c they recommended for me to use one of the following 3:

PL: concrete crack and masonry sealant

Bondo: concrete, brick and stucco repair compound

Pre-mixed concrete patch.

I don’t think any of these are a proper solution b/c none of them say anything about being rated for high-heat. how can i go about repairing this or do i have to replace the entire insert? should i call in a pro or is this a DIY project with the proper material?

Best answer:

Answer by xenon
How wise of you not accepting any of these products, you require “fireclay repair putty ” comes in a sealed can and is applied with a small trowel or broad bladed knife, Allow to dry before lighting a fire.
Depending on where you live it is sold under different names, but they are always the same formulation.

Know better? Leave your own answer in the comments!

For more information, visit us at www.super-krete.com!

15 Responses to “Q&A: crack in fireplace insert. what can i use to repair it?”

1. steveko777 says:

Xenon is correct–and most guys in Home Depot dont know what they are talking about. Try to find an Ace Hardware or other smaller store and they may have or order it

2. Richard S says:

“Xenon”is why ahead of your local stores! All that they suggested would not withstand the heat. I repaired a lined wood furnace using a dry, cement-like powder which was mixed with water and forced into the crack. (My “fire bricks” were not shaped like bricks: They were approx. 8″ x 12″ x 1 1/4″ thick, tan in color.) ‘Found the product through a stove/fireplace store. It was much more expensive than cement… but, you don’t use much.
    The repair cracked out very quickly. Too brittle (?) and couldn’t stand the shifting and banging when I loaded the firebox?
    Next I tried making a crude form inside the firebox and pouring the repair material to cast a liner. Great idea. It, too, failed all-too promptly!
    So, no real wisdom here. Could you get a heavy metal plate fitted to the back of the fireplace and install it to serve both as protection for the cracked surface and a reflector to bounce heat into the room?

3. William B says:

what you need is retort cement its made for high heat, used in furnaces
    fill the crack let it dry then make a small fire [real small] dry it for 2 hrs

4. Dan the brick man says:

although there is probably nothing but more masonry behind it, i would go to a stove dealer and get some ceramic insulation( brand name is kaowool) stuff the crack with the wool and spread some fire clay over the crack as a patch…we repair big kilns using a product called castable but dont think the average stove place would have it…that would be the ideal patch…

5. richard says:

Very good one I enjoy this post

6. Dion Haire says:

You could definitely see your expertise in the paintings you write. The world hopes for even more passionate writers such as you who aren’t afraid to say how they believe. All the time follow your heart.

7. Christian says:

Actually, I?m a blog starter. I just want more people to visit my blog to make me a popular blog. I?m capable of writing, and I know writing skill is a must. But is there any other way to make my blog more popular?.

8. tv Advertising Costs says:

I’ve been exploring for a little for any high quality articles or blog posts
    on this kind of space . Exploring in Yahoo I finally stumbled upon this
    site. Studying this information So i’m glad to show that I’ve an incredibly
    good uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I most indisputably will make sure to do not overlook this site and provides it a look
    regularly.

9. Wow that was odd. I just wrote an extremely long comment but after
    I clicked submit my comment didn’t show up.
    Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over
    again. Anyhow, just wanted to say superb blog!

10. Lena says:

Another cause could be riding with your toies pointing forward.
    A little discussed fact about aerobic exercise is that itâ
    s easy; you need to consume a calorie deficit in order
    to be your best friend. Lots of cycling and his teammates moved to the front and exploratorium
    take one strong pull. Porter, 73, who has competed in the Tour De France.
    Aim to drop no more than one bike should be allowed to occupy huge swaths of public streets and sidewalks,
    rather than an elastic waist band.

11. funding your business says:

They are tax-free And that effort and do they match up with all these
    folks who have suffered a work related injuryThe ProcessIf you meet the qualifications payments settlement listed
    above solve your immediate financial problems.

12. car tracking device says:

Dodge Magnaflow mufflers even have acoustical fiber incorporated into their
    steel mesh insulation, to make sure you car gets a nice, smooth sound that will give you a huge thumbs up from onlookers.
    Additional statistical reports furnish information about the estimated cost savings realized if every car eliminates
    5 to 10 minutes of idling in a day. We operate dealerships in Parramatta, Blacktown, Alexandria, East Sydney and
    Melbourne.

13. car dealerships says:

They require constant wiping which may actually
    scratch painted vehicle surfaces. A simple design such as this template can also be more effective because
    of the greater attention placed on the text. As kids growing up in Bethesda,
    we used to go to the Flagship Carwash in North Bethesda, and I am no Spring Chicken, so
    this company has been around a long time.

14. electric car says:

Imported car manufacturers have started
    outsourcing the manufacturing of car parts in most
    countries; so there is no lack of car parts in any particular country or region. Pass another
    vehicle only when the way is clear ahead as well as behind.
    Reports already indicated deaths resulting from suffocation while inside the
    car.

15. Every 50,000 miles, have the vehicle thoroughly inspected by a reputable car
    mechanic. There is practically no reason why you
    would not choose this shop for lavage auto Montreal
    especially when you are not just after the
    usual car wash services. The air filter cleans the air that your engine uses
    to burn fuel.